Moving forward and taking legal action against an abuser takes a lot of courage, and you do not have to go through this experience alone. Court advocates cannot provide legal advice but they can assist in a number of ways:
- Providing you with emotional support.
- Providing support to family and friends, helping them through the process and assisting them in helping you.
- Listening to your story and providing information about your legal rights and the options available to you.
- Helping you to get in touch with law enforcement and other proper authorities.
- Answering questions about your rights related to sexual abuse, sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking and other crimes you may have been the victim of.
- Assisting with filing for Victim’s Compensation benefits.
- Accompanying you to court appearances.